During June 2011 our family had a wonderful two week Port Douglas family holiday at Nautilus Holiday Apartments in Port Douglas.
The Robinson /Kalina family (9 people) enjoyed all that the magnificent Port Douglas region has to offer. Not ones to sit around and do nothing while on holiday, we made the most of the tours, scenery and hospitality offered by the people of Port Douglas.
Port Douglas Family Accommodation
Mick and Sue run Nautilus Holiday Apartments in Port Douglas. They offer family friendly, affordable Port Douglas accommodation with an added bonus of being on site managers. They booked all our Port Douglas tours at no additional cost and were only too happy to offer advice on anything we were interested in doing. Mick even checked online weather forecasts for us so we could book our snorkelling and fishing trips on the best days.
We took two apartments which were spacious, clean and well equipped for the whole family. If we needed anything we just had to ask and its position meant it was just a short walk into town and beautiful 4 Mile Beach…..a great location.
The weather in Port Douglas in June was wonderful, lovely sunny days with the evenings getting a little cooler which made for a great night’s sleep after lots of sightseeing.
We covered a great deal of attractions during our stay which included:
• Skyrail up to Kuranda and spent 3 – 4 hours wandering around the lovely market syle town and then down on the Train with spectacular views.
• Hartleys Croc Farm, which was great value for money and the presenters were just wonderful.
• Poseidon Great Barrier Reef Tour, this was a magic day the snorkeling was just brilliant.
• We toured the Daintree Rainforest and Cape Tribulation as a self-drive and we also visited Mossman George.
• A trip to the Atherton Tablelands was very interesting, again we self drove. We headed to the information centre at Mareeba and spent a good few hours there. Crystal Caves, Fig Trees we could have spent more time in the area but ran out of time
• A highlight of the trip was fishing both the Daintree and the Reef. We caught Fingermark, Barra, Bream and Grunter in the Estuary with Jamie’s Fishing Tours.
• Fishing the reef with Dragon Lady was also spectacular. We brought back 17 fish that day which included Coral Trout , Red Emperor , Spangled Emperor just to name a few. We took our fish to the local fish market in Port Douglas where they fillet, freeze and store the fish for you, then pack it in polystyrene boxes ready to fly home with you as baggage on your flight home.
There is no shortage of eating places in Port Douglas although we chose to eat in on many occasions as Nautilus Holiday Apartments has a full kitchen with oven, cooktop and microwave. Food prices at the local supermarket are comparable to home and as we had a large number of people in our group we took advantage of the BBQ at Nautilus and enjoyed many nights around the pool /BBQ area. We even shared our freshly caught fish with Mick one evening! (Sue missed out as she was babysitting, a service she offers to guests.)
On the occasions we did eat out we found Port Of Call (just 2 minutes walk from Nautilus Holiday Apartments) great value, casual, clean and family friendly. We celebrated our sons 18th birthday at Hogs Breath Café also just a 2 minute drive or a 15 minute walk. Ask Mick and Sue about taking advantage of the 20% discount offer.
Port Douglas – Great Family Holiday Destination
We hired bikes from Nautilus Holiday Apartments and explored Port Douglas. The main street is a 10 minute walk and four mile beach is just a short walk across the road. We also enjoyed the heated pool at any time of the day. We have all good intentions of making a trip back to Port Douglas and Nautilus Holiday Apartments and as repeat guest have been offered a discounted rate if we stay again.
All in all we had a wonderful family holiday and not one of us was looking forward to heading home on our last day, although as the person voted to organize everyone I think I should have stayed on for another week ( on my own) just for some ” me time”, maybe next year !!!!
Can`t wait to visit Port Douglas again and Nautilus is our family accommodation of choice.
Ring today and book your own Port Douglas family accommodation at Nautilus apartments.